Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Watercolor Rose

I knew when I started this project that there would be days when I was busy and didn't feel like creating. I just didn't think it would happen on DAY 2! I spent all day using up my creative juices working on my newsletter for TangledUpInArt. Ugh. So, at 10:30, I was ready to go to bed and Alexa reminded me that "we needed to blog." (It is good to have a partner to help you keep your resolutions.)

So, I grabbed a garden catalog from the recycling and found this for inspiration. Since I didn't have a lot of time, I thought it would be fun to do a combination watercolor pencil with a wet-on-wet stylistic rose.

John F. Kennedy Rose - I'd love to have a week or so to paint this beauty.
I used 3 watercolor pencils to start my sketch: pink, magenta, and golden yellow
Then I just got my brush and slopped water over everything and let it run.
I used my hot pink and yellow pan colors to brighten it up and a bit of salt to try and mimic the "raindrops on roses."
After adding a watery leafy background and scratching in a few branches, I'm calling it done.

The hardest problem for me painting to late at night is making sure I dip my paintbrush in my water and not my tea!

1 comment: